Increasing Your Income
If you’re trying to live on less than you’re entitled to, you’re just making it more likely you will get into debt. Once you know how much money you have to live on each month, you can adjust your spending to live within your income. The Student Finance Money Management Booklets can be helpful and provide you with an introduction to the full range of student support available. For starters, read the “Guide to managing your money as a student”, which can be found here.
- Are you getting all the student finance support you are entitled to?
- Can you work part time during term-time?
- More hours during holidays?
- Can you claim benefits?
- Can you apply for Hardship funds from the University?
- There’s a general limit of 20 hours work during term-time. International Students must not exceed this limit, or their student visa may be cancelled (this restriction doesn’t apply during the summer vacation).
- Some courses (e.g. Student Nurses, Teaching, Social Work) have stricter limits on doing part time work: if in doubt, check.