Increasing your income

Go through this checklist to see if you could be increasing your income:

  • Are you getting all the student finance support you are entitled to?
  • Can you work part time during term-time? (see our employment pages)
  • Are there more hours to do work during holidays?
  • Can you claim benefits? (see money > benefits)
  • Could you use sites like topcashback when shopping online?
  • Do you have a skill you could use to make additional income such as graphic design?
  • Can you apply for Hardship funds from the University? 


Paid work

There’s a general limit of 20 hours work during term-time. International Students must not exceed this limit, or their student visa may be cancelled (this restriction doesn’t apply during the summer vacation).

Some courses (e.g. Student Nurses, Teaching, Social Work) have stricter limits on doing part-time work: if in doubt, check.

Try contacting the University Employability & Careers Service (ECS) for information on student-friendly, part-time work on offer. See Employability and Careers | University of Greenwich for further information. There are often opportunities to work with Charlton Athletic or as a student ambassador.

Did you know you can search for work online through the Job Centre service?

We employ students at Greenwich Students’ Union, we'll communicate opportunities out on this webpage and on our social media:

Make sure you check your rights at work on the Advice Service webpages, or at and if your rights are being ignored, contact us for advice.


Further support

Once you know how much money you have to live on each month, you can adjust your spending to live within your income.

If you need help with this please either contact the Greenwich  Students' Union Advice Team or the University Student Finance team