Support for Students in Hardship

Greenwich Hardship Fund

What is it?

A fund held by the University that you can apply to if you’re in financial hardship and are in danger of having to exit your Programme of study without help.

Who can apply?

If you are a home student or an EU student who receives a maintenance loan from Student Finance England (SFE) then you are eligible to apply.

You must be able to show that you’ve exhausted any student funding you are currently getting or any statutory benefits you may be entitled to.

When can I apply?

You must be fully registered on your course before you can apply. The fund normally opens at the end of October each year.

How do I apply?

- Download an application form or collect one from your campus Student Centre.

- Prepare photocopies of the relevant supporting documents on the checklist.

- Submit the application form and relevant evidence to your local campus Student Centre.

- Upload your bank account details.

- The University Finance Team reviews your supporting evidence before sending it for a decision.

How long does it take to get a decision?

A decision should be made within four working weeks.

Can I get advice on making an application?

You will need supporting evidence, but the form is easy to fill in, and you can get help from the Students’ Union Advice Service and from University Student Finance staff to complete it. We can also check if there’s other financial or practical support available.

Please go to for further information. 

International students

European and International Students can get help through the International Student Hardship Fund, but only if they have paid their tuition fees, and the financial hardship is the result of unforeseen circumstances.

For International students, your Student Visa depends on your Sponsor’s ability to meet your needs. Remember that the Students’ Union Advice Service is confidential: we don’t share information with the University or others unless you want us to. If you’re not sure whether you can apply, or if you need help to negotiate affordable payments, please speak to us.

To apply to the International Student Hardship Fund, you will need to speak to the University Student Finance staff or the University’s International Student Advisers.

And if you’ve applied, but haven’t got funding, please speak to us again. It may be that the University doesn’t know the full story about why you need hardship payments: we can help you explain your needs (and help you take action to help you manage your situation)

Nursing students

If you are a Nursing student, you can also make an application to the NHS Hardship Fund. Nursing students must have already made an application to the the University Access to Learning Fund but they can still apply even if they have been turned down.

For further information please go to:

The University has a dedicated webpage for nursing, midwifery and allied heath care courses.