Complaints Procedure

Any student or group of students dissatisfied with their dealings with the Union has the right to make a complaint.

Students also have the right to make a complaint if they claim to have been unfairly disadvantaged as a result of opting out of Union membership.

All complaints will be dealt with fairly and promptly and will be investigated according to the stages set put in the Union Bye Laws. 

For information about our Safe Space and Disciplinary policies, please click here.


How do I complain?

Informal complaint

An informal discussion about the matter at the earliest opportunity will often resolve complaints. A student should, therefore, bring the matter to the attention of the GSU manager of the service, or President. This may be orally or in writing, including by email or via the Union's Complaints page, where complaints can be made anonymously.

The recipients of informal complaints are responsible for responding to them promptly and fairly. This would normally be within seven working days of receiving the complaint.

This is an informal stage and as such no written records would be kept if the matter is resolved at this point. 
To make a formal complaint, see the information below.

What happens next?

We will always aim to respond to your complaint within seven working days – remember to give us your contact details when you complain so we can get back in touch. As this is the informal stage no records will be kept if the matter is resolved.

What if I’m not happy with the response I get?

You can choose to use our formal complaints procedure, either if you are not satisfied with the response you were given after your informal complaint, or if you feel your complaint is very serious.

How do I submit a formal complaint?

A formal complaint must be made in writing via our Complaints Form (Word doc) to John Schless, our Chief Executive (

Complaints should be addressed as follows:

(i) All complaints must be addressed to the Chief Executive, who may delegate responsibility for dealing with the complaint to an appropriate person or panel, unless.

(ii) If the complaint relates to the Chief Executive or an elected Officer, other Trustee, or other elected representative of the Union (except the President), the complaint should be addressed to the President, who may delegate responsibility for dealing with the complaint to an appropriate person or panel.

Complaints will be considered valid if the complainant:

(i) Provides details of their name, address and telephone number

(ii) Provides details of the event or occurrence giving rise to the complaint

(iii) Raises the complaint within 15 working days of the event or occurrence giving grounds for complaint, unless there are exceptional circumstances.

What happens next?

If your complaint is valid, it will be investigated, evidence gathered and those involved may be asked to provide evidence, although no formal hearings will be held.

You will receive a written response within 15 working days.

This response will cover all the findings of the investigation, any mitigating circumstances and any appropriate further action. If your complaint is upheld it will detail any further action which is being taken. 

If your complaint is not upheld you will be informed that you have the right to raise the complaint with the University.