Paying for Health Services

Students who are under the age of 19 and in full time education should be entitled to free health services.

Students aged 19 or over may be eligible for free services depending on their medical condition, or may be entitled to reduced costs depending on their income.

To check if you qualify for the NHS Low Income Scheme, complete an HC1 form.  (available here ).  If you are eligible you will receive an HC2 Certificate which will detail the help you can receive.

Claiming a Refund:

If you have paid an NHS prescription charge you must use the prescription receipt form FP57 to claim a refund. You should ask for this form at the time you pay as you cannot get one later. The form will explain the procedure to follow.

If you have paid for other NHS charges you must use the claim form for the charge you have paid. There is a separate form for each type of charge (HC5(O) for optical costs, HC5(D) for Dental costs, HC5(T) for NHS travel costs and HC5(W) for wigs and fabric support charges.  For further information, see