Getting Registered For Health Services

Students who are not from the local area should register at a GP (doctor) and Dentist to access treatment.

To find your local services you can do this by entering your post code at

The surgery will usually ask you to complete a form called a GMS1 (which they will provide to you) giving details such as:

  • Name and address
  • Date of birth
  • NHS number (if you know it)
  • Other information, such as the name and address of your previous GP

Some GP surgeries will also ask to see proof of your identity. For example, they may ask to see:

  • Photo identity, such as your passport or driving licence
  • Proof of your address, such as a recent council tax bill or utility bill (a gas, electricity, water or phone bill, but not a mobile phone bill).

The GP surgery will send the GMS1 to your local NHS Commissioning Board area team. Your medical records will then be transferred to the new surgery.

Temporary Registration

If you want to see a GP and are visiting an area for more than 24 hours but less than three months, you can apply to register with a GP surgery as a temporary resident. The application can be made using form GMS3  (accessible from your local GP surgery)