Concerned about a student?

  • Problems can worsen if you keep quiet, and keeping quiet adds to your own distress.
  • You are not wasting anyone’s time by reporting genuine concerns:  it’s better for someone to investigate the possibility that there is abuse, harm or neglect, and be satisfied that someone is safe in 9 out of 10 situations than to wait and allow harm to worsen for one person.
  • Your concern may seem small in itself, but it could be one small piece of a jigsaw that enables others to build up a complete picture and to prevent harm.

Any of us can need help from time to time, for any reason.

Sometimes, we can feel so overwhelmed by our experiences, that we find it hard to ask for help

Any student can get free, independent and confidential advice from the Students' Union Advice Service.  We won’t judge you, we won’t tell you what to do, and we won’t share information with the University or with others without your agreement unless you or others are at significant risk of harm.  See our Service Standards for details.

You may be concerned about another student for any number of reasons:

  • Because of what they have told you
  • Because they’re in distress
  • Because of what you know about their life experiences, either now or in the past
  • Or perhaps the way they’re behaving is out of character for them

If in doubt, share your concerns.

Speaking to an adviser can be the first step in regaining control of your own life.  We won’t always be able to solve your situation, but we can support you, and with your consent, we can help you get specialist help elsewhere if you need it.

If you’ve got a concern about another student and you feel confident to talk to them about it, explain why you’re concerned, and ask them if they want to speak to an adviser.  If they say no, they know that you’re concerned enough to ask and will respect you for it.  If they say yes, encourage them to speak to an SU adviser.  If they’re willing, maybe you could come to an interview with them?

If you’re concerned but you don’t feel confident to talk to the student, speak to your tutor, or contact the Advice Service yourself.  We can’t break confidentiality:  if we speak to the student you’re concerned about, we won’t be able to tell you what we’ve discussed if that student isn’t willing to share this information. However, our experience most of the time is that students who speak to us are better able to cope and gain the confidence to deal with their situation.

The full Students' Union Safeguarding Policy is available online here

Contact our Safeguarding Officer Jason King:

Advice Service information:

The University has some useful links and extra guidance on support available to students. Please visit the following link for further information (link opens in new window):