Employment & Volunteering

We know that many students will need to work part-time to support themselves at University. 

You may be looking for work experience, whether paid or unpaid, to help you decide what you want to do after University. 

Some of you will be required to undertake placements as part of your academic studies.

We’ve listed the main services available at the University to help you find work or volunteer experience, and organisations based in the Royal Borough of Greenwich for local support. 

We’ve highlighted common issues at work for students. 

There are also Useful Links to other websites for more detailed information on specific topics.

Remember the general University recommendation not to do more than 20 hours work per week on top of your academic studies (and any work placement you might undertake). 

If you are an International student, it is a condition of your Student Visa that you must not work more than 20 hours per week during term time.  

If you are a student Nurse, Teacher or Social Worker, check your Practice Handbook or speak to your Personal Tutor about any restrictions on working hours for your course.

And, if you want advice on your rights at work (or when you have to leave work), contact your Students’ Union Advice Service.

Click for more information on...