Common Problems

Issues can arise when renting and the Greenwich Students' Union Advice Service can help you if they do. Below, you can find information on the most commonly encountered problems. You can always get in touch with us to discuss your circumstances. 


Getting your deposit back 

In most cases you will be asked to pay a deposit when renting.

See If your landlord hasn’t set this up, get advice. You could be entitled to damages worth up to three times the value of the deposit you have paid (and your landlord may have difficulty evicting you until this is done).

Your inventory lists everything that’s provided for you at the flat, and its condition. It is worth taking photographs of the items and the condition. If you find something when you move in that is in poor condition, you should flag it immediately. Then when you leave, there should be no argument about who’s responsible for any damage to the flat or the landlord’s belongings. Keep a copy until you’ve left and have got your deposit back.



Repairs are usually the responsibility of the landlord to carry out and shouldn't cost you any extra money. You should notify them in writing of what repairs need to be done as soon as an issue arises. If they are reluctant to do so, get in touch and we can advise what to do next.


Struggling to Pay Rent

If you are struggling to pay your rent, speak to your landlord as soon as you can and try to negotiate a reduced rent that you can afford. 

In most situations where the landlord doesn’t currently live with you, your landlord has to go to Court to evict you. Get in touch and we can advise on your circumstances. 


Get in touch

We aren't able to find a property for you but we can check your contract before you sign it. You can submit your inquiry through our online form. We will aim to get back to you within three working days.

Go to our Contact Form