GSU is still offering induction talks for when term restarts, however this will now be offered digitally with a renewed offer.
To ensure early, consistent and high-quality information for new starters, GSU will be offering a pre-recorded induction talk from GSU Officers which will be distributed to Programme Leaders and uploaded onto Moodle for easy access. Staff scheduling weeks 1 and 2 of induction should allow 15 minutes time for this provision. Videos will be available from early September.
In addition, GSU will be offering live Q&A sessions for new starters across a School/Department to offer students an interpersonal connection.
The live Q&A sessions will be hosted online via Teams by a member of GSU staff and a GSU Officer. A GSU staff member will also facilitate the set-up of the session and communicate the Teams link in advance. There will be two sessions offered:
- Session 1- Student Voice & Wellbeing: This session should take place in weeks 3-4 (28th September – 9th of October) and will cover student voice, course feedback, wellbeing and GSU Advice and support services. Information provided will be tailored to the course and location of study.
- Session 2 - Academic Communities & Opportunities: This session should take place in weeks 6-7 (October 19th – October 30th) and will provide an opportunity for Students to digitally ‘meet’ Academic Societies aligned to their studies, as well as learn about wider community and development opportunities at GSU.
Pre-recorded Induction Talks:
Here are just some of the reasons it’ll benefit your programme and students:
- Proactively signposted to Support Services and Student Representatives
Students will find out about the support which the Advice Service offers
- Get support recruiting your Programme Reps
The standard induction talk can be tailored to suit your programme’s needs, whether that’s recruiting Programme Reps or focusing on opportunities for Postgraduate students
- Encourage your students to get involved in Sports and Societies
Help your students get settled and make the most of their time here by finding out about the opportunities on offer
- Hear how the SU represents their Academic Interests and empowers the student voice
Find out about how the Students’ Union represents students and how they can get involved.
- Ensure the Academic Student Community thrives in your Faculty/Programme
Make sure your students are welcomed and feel a part of the university community.
Request a live Q&A
You can now request a talk, but please do so before 28th August 2020 so the Students' Union can ensure a Representative will be available.
Please only submit your request once you are sure of the time and date, due to the volume of requests we can only process changes in exceptional circumstances.
Requests will be considered on a first come first served basis. You will receive an email to let you know we have received your request, however you will not get full confirmation of the session until September (depending on the date of your request) due to Officer availability. We will aim to confirm earlier where possible.
Please email us on email@example.com if you have any further questions.