To inspire a supportive community of doctoral researchers for doctoral researchers at the University of Greenwich
The main hope of the Doctoral Society is to provide a ‘hub’ for all postgraduate students at the University of Greenwich. The Doctoral Society is entirely student-led and has the potential to create a meaningful difference to the PhD cohort, by providing excellent opportunities for development. The Society's main aims may be summarised as follows:
- To connect early-career academics with various stakeholders while fostering direct engagement with senior researchers from multiple disciplines.
- To create awareness of the actual contribution made by PhDs, EdDs, Post-Doctoral researchers and ECRs within and outside of the University.
- To expand our networking opportunities and create social events that bring all doctoral students together in a relaxed and fun atmosphere.
Committee and working groups:
- Research and Enterprise Committee (REC)
- PGR ECR Forum
- 3MT® competition working group
Save the date - Elections 22 June 2021
Further details to follow soon.
The Mentoring programme was established with the idea of promoting an environment whereby PhD students can leverage from the resources and expertise of professionals within the university. The programme aims to support PhD students develop and improve their professional and transferable skills through the guidance of experts who understand your journey and your career path. The deadline for applying is the 14th Sept 2020, the next intake would be next year summer/fall 2021.
Read the update here from Manuela Carnaghi, Mentorship Programme Manager here.
Everyone is welcomed to join:
Membership is free for all Greenwich students.
Changes have been made to the fee structure. All members will now have free access to all social events and academic-related workshops. However, fees may apply to specific events (e.g. offsite visits).
Acadamic support sessions:
Virtual Study Group - Every Saturday with PhDforum.
To join, please register on http://www.thephdforum.com.
Click here to see our first newsletter addition.
Monthly Social Events:
9th April 2021 (13:00 to 14:00) - DocSoc election via Microsoft Teams
5th March 2021 (12:00 to 12:30) - Coffee break via Microsoft Teams
18th December 2020 (13:00 to 14:00) - Virtual Meeting via Microsoft Teams
6th November 2020 (18:00 to 23:00) - Meet up @ the Lower Deck, Greenwich - Cancelled
2nd October 2020 (18:00 to 23:00) - Meet up @ the Deepend, Medway
4th September 2020 (18:00 to 22:00) - Meet up @ the Lower Deck, Greenwich
7th August 2020 (17:00 to 18:00) - Cancelled
5th June 2020 (17:00 to 18:00) - Quiz night via Microsoft Teams
3rd July 2020 (17:00 to 18:00) - Virtual Meet & Greet via Microsoft Teams
Current Committee Members:
- Rania Hassan, President R.Hassan@greenwich.ac.uk
- Asegul Hulus, Vice President A.Hulus@greenwich.ac.uk
- Emem Ekamen, Public Relations Manager
- Ihator Brown, Events Manager
- Manuela Carnaghi, Mentorship Programme Manager
- Rezwana Barsha, Social Media Manager
- Xin Wen, Treasure
Studying for a PhD during the pandemic - 21st July 2020 (virtual discussion)
Moderator: Rania Hassan
Speakers: Ihator Brown, Manuela Carnaghi and John Leonida
Click here to watch the full video.
Other groups to join:
Academic Communities Consultation Groups: https://www.greenwichsu.co.uk/academic-communities/events/
See below for all the positions we currently have available: