To inspire a supportive community of doctoral researchers for doctoral researchers at the University of Greenwich
The main hope of the Doctoral Society is to provide a ‘hub’ for all postgraduate students at the University of Greenwich. The Doctoral Society is entirely student-led and has the potential to create a meaningful difference to the PhD cohort, by providing excellent opportunities for development. The Society's main aims may be summarised as follows:
- To connect early-career academics with various stakeholders while fostering direct engagement with senior researchers from multiple disciplines.
- To create awareness of the actual contribution that can be made by PhDs, EdDs, Post-Doctoral researchers, ECRs outside of academia by means of various events yearly, such as internal and external conferences, skills development seminars, and networking opportunities with industries.
- To establish easily accessible social networking opportunities in a relaxing and fun atmosphere.
Apply copy and past this link into the browser - https://greenwich.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/mentorship
The Mentoring programme was established with the idea of promoting an environment whereby PhD students can leverage from the resources and expertise of professionals within the university. The programme aims to support PhD students develop and improve their professional and transferable skills through the guidance of experts who understand your journey and your career path. The deadline for applying is the 14th Sept 2020.
Everyone is welcome to join:
Membership is free for all Greenwich students.
Changes have been made to the fee structure. All members will now have free access to all social events and academic-related workshops. However, fees may apply to specific events (e.g. offsite visits)
Acadamic support sessions:
Virtual Study Group - Every Saturday with PhDforum.
One of the obstacles we face as PhD students is to keep a regular space in the diary to just write. Whether that is for a conference paper, completing a chapter, analysing data or even preparing for a viva.
Our aim is to help you dedicate several hours every saturday to catch up on writing in a friendly and supportive environment.
So set those distractions aside and join PhDforum every Saturday for a productive writing session.
To join, please register on http://www.thephdforum.com
Monthly Social Events:
2nd of October 2020 (18:00 to 23:00) - Meet up @ the Deepend, Medway
4th of September 2020 (18:00 to 22:00) - Meet up @ the Lower Deck, Greenwich
7th of August 2020 (17:00 to 18:00) - Cancelled
5th of June 2020 (17:00 to 18:00) - Quiz night via Microsoft Teams
3rd of July 2020 (17:00 to 18:00) - Virtual Meet & Greet via Microsoft Teams
Current Committee Members:
- Rania Hassan, President R.Hassan@greenwich.ac.uk
- Asegul Hulus, Vice President A.Hulus@greenwich.ac.uk
- Emem Ekamen, Public Relations Manager
- Ihator Brown, Events Manager
- Manuela Carnaghi, Mentorship Programme Manager
- Rezwana Barsha, Social Media Manager
- Xin Wen, Treasure
Studying for a PhD during the pandemic - 21st July 2020 (virtual discussion)
Moderator: Rania Hassan
Speakers: Ihator Brown, Manuela Carnaghi and John Leonida
- Quarterly newsletter
- Mentorship programme
See below for all the positions we currently have available: