Student Privacy Notice
Updated 21st August 2018
The Students’ Union University of Greenwich (SU) is the representative body of the students at the University of Greenwich. Our services and activities are also accessible by Union and University staff, and members of the general public. As part of our work, we collect and use data about people who access our activities, services and/or premises to ensure that we can offer the appropriate range of activities, services, support and experiences.
How we collect data about students
- Each year that you enroll with the University of Greenwich, you are automatically a member of the SU of unless you tell us that you don’t want to be (if so, please contact the Data Protection Officer and University Secretary at email@example.com). The University of Greenwich annually shares a register of members with us which includes information about you and your course. These details become available to us once you have completed your Part One registration online. This allows us to set up an account for you on our website so that are able to sign up for activities and events, join student groups and purchase products with ease.
- You may give us other/more information about yourself when you sign up to a Club and/or Society, register for events or activities, take a survey, use our Advice Service, purchase products or communicate with us.
- We may combine information you provide to us with information available from external sources in order to gain a better understanding of our members to improve our communication methods, products and services.
- When you purchase an item with us (e.g. membership, product, NUS Extra card, door entry) we will either scan your Student ID card (if your purchase is made in person) or require you to login on our website in order to link your purchase to you. Once an order has been placed, we (the Union, staff member or student group you’ve purchased from) may contact you by email to confirm your order details and again once your order has been accepted and dispatched (if applicable). If we need to contact you about your purchase, we will use the email address and/or telephone number you’ve submitted to reach you.
What data do we get?
The data the SU gets and/or collects includes and is not limited to:
- Name (first and last)
- User ID
- Date of birth
- University email
- Personal email
- Mobile telephone number
- Fee assessment
- Year of study
- Mode of study
- Programme of study
- Faculty and site
- Postal address
- Age range / mature indicator
- Fees status / residency
- Hall name
- Anonymised responses to student surveys including verbatim comments
We will keep this data for the duration that you are a registered student, and it will be pseudonymised afterwards. To see our full data retention schedule for data we collect across the organisation, read the Data Map on our website at greenwichsu.co.uk/privacy.
How we process and share data
We process personal data about you for the following reasons:
- Students’ Union membership which includes for elections, contact with students and participation in events
- Information about which students have opted in to marketing by the SU at online registration (OLR)
- To pre-register people onto the MSL system so that they can be verified as bona fide current students thus eligible to vote and receive services and benefits of membership
- For reporting and analysis purposes for our activities, support systems, and Union strategy to ensure success and effectiveness
- To better understand membership and tailor services accordingly
- To facilitate Single Sign On (SSO) to our website (www.suug.co.uk) where the institution operates such a service.
We use several legal bases for processing the data under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), including: contract with the individual, public task, compliance with a legal obligation, consent, legitimate interests and vital interests. You can find out more information about this by looking at our SU Data Map.
We may share data about you in some instances with external bodies or organisations where this is required by law or otherwise authorised under the GDPR. The types of organisations we may share data with include:
- The Office for Students and other higher education funding agencies and their agents;
- local authorities;
- public health bodies;
- the police or other appropriate investigative authorities with statutory powers;
- government departments or their agencies;
- contractors used to provide services
- the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA) (See HESA data collection notice);
- UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI);
- GK Unions (www.gkunions.co,uk);
- John Smith’s retail company;
- recruitment agencies.
If you have any queries, please visit the Privacy section of our website, or contact firstname.lastname@example.org, and our Data Protection Officer will respond.
If you have any queries about the University and their data processing and collection, please contact their Data Protection Officer and University Secretary at email@example.com.