See the Complaints procedure, guidance and the form at:

The University’s procedure expects students to have attempted to resolve complaints informally first.  We would usually recommend, for academic issues, involving your Personal Tutor, the Head of Department for your programme, or your programme rep.  But there can be reasons why you do not think they will be effective (or you might be complaining about them).  And there is nothing stopping you raising the complaint yourself, or with the help of the Students’ Union Advice Service.

With all University procedures, it can take a long time to see a problem through from the start until it’s resolved.  If you’ve made an informal complaint and it’s not close to resolution within a month, we’d advise you to think about making a formal complaint.  And if you’re not satisfied with how the University deals with your complaint, you do have the right to complain further to the Office of the Independent Adjudicator for Higher Education ( – but you have to make a formal complaint to the University first.

Key Issues for Making Complaints (whether formal or informal)

1. Who can help you resolve the problem?

2. Do it quickly!  The longer you leave it, the harder it is for anyone to take action to change your situation.

3. Put it in writing.

4. Explain why you are not happy with the decision, how you’ve been affected by the decision or actions, and what you want to be done to resolve the problem (check that what you want to be done is possible!)

5. State when you need a response (and make sure your contact information  - email, phone etc) is correct).

Contact your Students’ Union Adviser for information, advice and guidance on preparing your complaint, and for further action if you’re not satisfied with the response.