GSU's Global programme is here to help you as you arrive at University in the UK.

before you arrive airport pickup after you arrive useful links societies recommendations


before you arrive

Here you'll find useful information you'll need to know before you arrive.


Dreadnought Building exterior

Confirmation of Acceptance (CAS)

Before making your visa application, you will need to get your CAS – Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies. This is an electronic statement that includes your unique ‘CAS number’.

The University will issue your CAS once you have accepted your offer to study and paid any applicable fees. For more information on CAS click here.

> Open Google Maps

Lower Deck Bar Area


Most international students will need a Student Visa to study in the UK. Be sure to gather as much knowledge as you can around how the application process works and any documentation you might need. This will make the process as smooth as possible for you! You can find a list of documents you might need here: For more general information, head here:

If you’re looking to extend your visa, then the process is slightly different and you can explore more here:

Two people in Change Coffee shop holding a coffee cup

International Advice Service

The International Student Advice Service is also on hand to answer any questions you might have and support you in your application: or email

Stockwell Street Library exterior


You’ll need a place to live when you get here and there are some great options at all three campuses! There are typically two types of accommodation available to students: University halls and private renting. University halls are accommodation sites provided for and managed by the University of Greenwich. If you’re intending to stay in University halls of residence, then you can see the full list here:

Private landlords also rent their properties out to students, often in the local area. If you’re looking to rent privately then make sure you do your research and take your time to consider your options. You can read our handy guide on private renting here.

mcmilan exterior


The University has also partnered with YourGuarantor to help international students who wish to rent privately. Be sure to check out their webpage:

Cutty Sark Hall exterior

Get to know Global

Global Greenwich is here to help you when you're on campus..

Follow our Instagram account to keep up to date with us! 

> discover global

airport arrival

we'll be there to help you as you arrive 

avery hill

Here are some useful details to get to Avery Hill campus. The halls here are Aragon, Boleyn, Seymour, Cleves, Howard, Parr, and Tudor Courts.

Main University Address:
Avery Hill Road

halls at Avery


Here are some useful details to get to Greenwich campus. The halls here are Cutty Sark Hall, Daniel Defore Hall, Devonport House, McMillan Student Village. 

Main University Address:
30 Park Row
SE10 9LS

halls at Greenwich


Here are some useful details to get to Medway campus. The halls here are Adelaide, Forte, Sunne, Merlin and Wolfe. 

Main University Address:
North Road
Chatham Maritime

halls at Medway


after you arrive

You can get a free bus from Greenwich campus to Avery Hill. If you love sport and keeping active, this is a great campus to visit.

getting around events faqs 

Village Shop exterior


Before arriving in the UK, you will usually receive a temporary visa in your passport called a vignette. The rest of your visa duration will be recorded on a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP), which you must collect within 10-days of your arrival. You can choose where you want your BRP to be sent but it’s recommended you have it sent to the University. The location for collection will be noted on your decision letter. Collection is from your campus’ Student Centre and you must show your passport, visa vignette, and the decision letter issued by the UKVI.

Some students are now receiving a digital visa status, rather than a physical BRP. If this is the case, you will need to show this to the University, this is usually done through a share code.

To read more about BRPs and the collection process, head here:

The Dome exterior


Firstly, you must register online via the Student Portal.

Head here to find out more about the first part of registration:

If you are a new student, the University will then need to confirm certain documents to register you. Your qualifications will be checked online but your ID will need to be checked in-person. All international students will need to show a current valid and in-date passport.

Non-EU students must also show a relevant immigration document (this can be a stamped entry visa, a current visa, or BRP).

EU nationals must show either a relevant immigration document (as above) or evidence of settled or pre-settled status to the EU Settlement Scheme.

For all registration information, head to this webpage:

Greenwich Gateway Card

You will need to collect a Greenwich Gateway Card in order to identify yourself on campus and take part in much student activity, including accessing buildings, borrowing library books, and sitting exams.

Make sure you’ve done the following to make collecting your card as smooth as possible:
  • Complete your online registration
  • Bring your student ID number
  • Bring your original form of ID used during the document checking element of registration
  • Bring your visa Completed any required COVID-19 quarantine

You can collect your card from your campus’ Student Centre.

You can upload an ID photo beforehand, or have it taken on-site.

To find out where to collect your card, along with the times the Student Centre is open, head here:

Students sat in the edible garden

Setting up a bank account

You should set up a ‘current account’ with a bank or building society when you arrive in the UK. This will allow you to withdraw cash from an ATM, as well as pay via direct debit and use online or telephone banking.

To open a bank account, you will need:

  • Your passport and visa/BRP, or your EU ID Card

  • A confirmation letter (see above)

  • Evidence of your current address – this can be a tenancy agreement, student accommodation contract, or a letter from the University

  • Some banks may also request proof of address from your home country

sports team playing inside air dome

Oyster Card

An Oyster Card can be a great way to get around London’s transport network and you can use it on the Tube, DLR, trains, buses, trams, and even river boats and Emirates Air Line! If you're ocver 18, a student, and living in a London borough, you can get discounted travel with an Oyster photocard, saving 30% on adult-rate travelcards, and bus & tram pass season tickets.

Although you can use a bank card to tap in and out, getting yourself a student Oyster Card will save you money across your journeys.

> Find out more

Badminton players inside sports hall

Join in our events

We provide a range of events through our Global Greenwich programme. 

> See What's On

useful links

GSU Welcome happens across all three campuses, so we put together a guide to help you get around. Greenwich Students' Union has a base at all three locations and they all have something unique to offer!

advice service Academic support fees and funding careers service 

The student hub interior

University of Greenwich International

Find out how the University of Greenwich can support you as an International student on their website.


> Visit their website

The deep end bar

Global Greenwich & Global Medway

Based at each campus you can find our Global services here to support you.

We run events and activities and have Global Ambassadors on hand to answer your queries.

> Visit the Global website

International Societies

Students have set up International Societies to help bring communities together on campus. Here are a few of our groups, but you can find more on the full list with the filter 'culture'.  

full Societies list 

Lower Deck Bar Area

Indian Society

Namaste!, As-Salaam-Alaikum!, Sat Sri Akala!, Hello! and what not, UoG Indian Society aim at bringing our Indian Culture and traditions in the UK with great events and meetups.

> Join the Society

Coffee being poured


Greenwich Tamil Society is a cultural society which provides students an opportunity to learn and celebrate the richness of the oldest surviving classical language in the world.

> Join Tamil Society

Village Shop exterior


As-salam-Alaikum, Namaste, Sasri-akal and hello to everybody. The aim of the university of Greenwich PAK SOC is to give everyone the opportunity to explore our great Pakistani norms and values.

>Join Pakistani Society 


Are you into Korean culture? All things KPOP and related... Korean food, Korean dramas, Korean dance and many more to discover... Everyone is welcome to join us at UoG K-Soc.                                                      

> Join K-SOC

The deep end bar

Bangladeshi Society

We are a connected community of Bangladeshi students and Greenwich students in general. We welcome anyone and everyone from University of Greenwich to join with us to explore our culture.

> Join Bangladeshi Society

The deep end bar

Discover more

You don't just have to join a Cultural Society, there are a range of other groups to try.


> Check out all our Societies

we recommend

Here are some things we think you might like to do to help settle in.
Lower Deck Bar Area

Give It A Go

Try something new with our Give It A Go Programme of events and activities. Most of the events are free, so it's the perfect way to try something out without having to commit!

> Discover Give It A Go

Coffee being poured

Say hello to your Officers

Your GSU Officers are here to represent you whilst you're at University. They are very friendly and can help you with a range of issues!             

> Meet the Officers

Village Shop exterior


Fun, free and non-competitive sport that requires no commitment other than purchasing a free ticket for each activity.

> Try GSUmove



  Enable accessibility tools