Academic Appeals

During your time as a student the university will make decisions on your progress and performance in examinations and coursework and on your eligibility for the award of the qualification for which you are studying.

If you think that such a decision is wrong or is based on incorrect or partial information then you may have the right to appeal against the decision. If you are a University of Greenwich student you can access the Greenwich appeal regulations and form here and if you are a University of Kent student you can access the Kent regulations and form here.

Both universities will require you to:

  1. Complete their Academic Appeal form
  2. Make your appeal within their deadline period
  3. Provide a supporting statement detailing the reasons for your appeal and providing as much evidence to support your case as possible
  4. Meet one or more of their grounds for an appeal

If you require further guidance on the regulations and how to write a supporting statement please Talk To Us.


Concessions and Extenuating Circumstances

Sometimes students' coursework or exam performance can be impaired because of significant illness, personal problem, or traumatic event (such as a bereavement).

If something happens which adversely affects your academic ability then University of Greenwich students' should consider making an Extenuating Circumstances application and University of Kent students should consider making a Mitigating Circumstances application.

Both universities will require you to:

  1. Complete the form fully and explain how your academic performance has been impaired
  2. Provide as much evidence as possible to substantiate your claim
  3. Meet any deadlines for the claim to be submitted

If you need guidance on completing the form or discussing your case you should speak to your university direct. University of Kent students can contact their Student Support Team and University of Greenwich students their Personal Tutor or Programme Leader. If you need independent and impartial advice on your case then instead Talk To Us.


Academic Discipline

You may find at some time in your studies that the university initiate academic discipline against you whether it be in relation to plagiarism, an examination offence, a fitness to practise concern, or similar.

If you are accused of an academic offence then you should be notified by your university of the allegation and you should make yourself aware of the regulations. University of Greenwich students can access the Greenwich regulations here and University of Kent students can access the Kent regulations here (Annex 10).

If you need our advice on your case Talk To Us.