Personal Accident Insurance

Members to most sports clubs and some societies have personal accident insurance included via their membership fee. The student group committee members should know if the group is covered, but if you are not sure then please email and we will advise.

Who has this insurance?

All SUUG Sports Club Student/Playing (Competitive) and Student (Training Only) Members are covered by this insurance as part of their membership fee. Social / Non-Playing memberships do not include the insurance fee, so if you are going to be taking part in training or playing then you must purchase the full Playing/Competitive or Training Only Membership.

If you are taking part in sports club trials, or just checking out a club before joining during the year, then you have temporary cover on that one occasion asa a trial, but must purchase membership to continue to be covered or to take part in fixtures.

For societies involving physical activity that is covered by our policy, you are covered by the insurance once you have paid your membership fee for the year. The Student Activities staff can confirm which societies this applies to, and advise of what activities may require the insurance.

What does the policy cover?

This policy is held with Endsleigh Insurance (Brokers) Ltd. and is “The Platinuim Personal Accident Plan”. The policy provides protection ‘anywhere in the world whilst taking part in events organised by the Students’ Union, or training and practice sessions, and whilst travelling to and from any of these activities.

The cover includes

Type of Cover

Accidental Death


Permanent Disabling Injuries

Up to £50,000

Temporary Disabling Injuries

up to £40 per week (excl. first 7 days)

Dental Expenses

Up to £1'000 (excl. first £25)

Loss of Earnings

£65 per week (exlc. first 7 days, up to 26 weeks)

Hospital Confinement

£20 per day (max. 120 days)

Emergency Travel Expenses

Up to £150 

Medical Certificate Expense

up to £40 per certificate

Course Deferment Expenses

Up to £3'000

The full Personal Accident Insurance policy can be read online here.

What do I do if I'm injured?

If you suffer an injury whilst taking part in an insured activity you should complete an Accident Report Form and submit it to Student Activities staff, stating that you would like the details for the forms for the personal accident insurance policy. They will be able to advise about making a claim.

A successful claim will depend on the nature of the injury or loss and factors relating to hospitalisation, expenses incurred, etc (see above). Claims should normally be started within 3 weeks of the incident.